Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Silhouettes and Drone success

Farmhouse breakfast with our nice view of the area.
It was so quiet and nice in our place 3.2km off the main road. I'm glad we have two more nights in this spot.
Yesterday evening while we were finishing up dinner, a group of ten Chinese tourists came in and had dinner. The wifi only works in the main room, so we were sitting working on our laptops and iPads and Aaron was editing some photos and showing Kelsey and Erik what the Aurora looked like from last year. The Chinese guys were so impressed and started asking questions. Aaron showed them his Aurora video and then we told them that the Aurora should be visible and told them a spot about 30 minutes away to capture some great shots. We also told them in broken English that they had to leave pretty much right then... They obliged and off they went. I'm very glad the Aurora did make an appearance otherwise I would have felt badly to send them so far out to capture nothing. This morning while we were enjoying breakfast, they all came in and were so excited that they got to capture the Aurora. They showed us their photos and wanted to see Aarons. It was extremely obvious that they could care less about any females or pretty much about anything that I had to say. (Even though most of the ideas for where they should shoot last night were mine!) Anyway, they really wanted to take photos of Aaron with his photos and then wanted us to pose for them... We were sitting across the table from each other and they wanted us to stare at each other because our 'noses' looked good from the profile. We tried very hard to keep a straight face as they showed us a silhouette image of our Jewish noses. It was a funny experience. They invited Aaron to come to China and visit with them. And the Asian invasion continues.....

Off to the glacier lagoon today we went. It was overcast and very white today and of course we were hoping it would clear up at some point, but it really never did. We went to the glacier lagoon first where there were so many cars and tour buses. It's exploding with tourism here and there is no regulation yet. We heard that in the ice caves there are about 90 people at a time... There is only one accessible tourism cave that people go to (though we are supposed to do a private tour to a different one but it may not pan out this year), and that is way too many people in a tiny space. Something needs to be done at some point before someone gets severely injured. We hiked for about half an hour or so out past most of the tourists and to some quiet spots along the lagoon. I flew the drone for the first time today and I'm totally in love! It is so much fun... I even flew it over seals! I was very nervous with the controls, but once Aaron taught me the basics, it was fairly simple! I can't wait to do it again tomorrow.
I wanted to photograph a little bit on the ice beach as well so afterwards we went across the street to the black sand beach and tried to find a few icebergs. The ocean is super strong right now because of several storms and lots of wind and the icebergs don't seem to be reaching the beach as much as they used to. I was still able to get a few nice shots but definitely different.
We hiked out there with Andrew, a photographer friend of Aarons who we've been getting to know. He took an amazing shot of us flying the drone in front of the mountains yesterday and just sent it to me so I have to post it.
We drove into Hofn after the beach to fill up with gas, buy a couple things at the grocery store and then met Kelsey and Erik and all had dinner at the same spot we ate in last year! It was still delicious. We had langoustine:
We are hoping the Aurora comes out again tonight but it's very windy and cloudy! I'm looking forward to taking a shower after I finish this! Aaron and I picked up some local beers and are having a few while we take advantage of the wifi in the common room 

No comments:

Post a Comment